Service TimesEarly Service - 8:30amSabbath School - 9:30amSecond Service - 11:00am
The Centerville Seventh-day Adventist Church formed as a response to the growth and expansion of the Adventist Church in the South Dayton area with a focus on serving the needs of the Centerville, Bellbrook, Spring Valley, Waynesville, and Lebanon communities. Currently, Pastor Winston Baldwin serves as senior pastor. He has been serving in that capacity since August, 2003. Joining him in ministry later that year, Pastor Robert Zegarra serves in the capacity of associate pastor. The pastoral staff expanded in 2011, when Pastor William Hrovat accepted the invitation to lead the newly developed outreach and evangelism initative. Together, with many dedicated volunteers, they serve a vibrant membership of 630. From its humble beginnings, the Centerville Church has fulfilled the gospel commission to share the gospel through varies ministries and outreach opportunities throughout Centerville and surrounding communities. The church seeks to fulfill this vision by providing health programs, donating resources towards the underserved in Dayton, teaching its children to love and fear God, and sponsoring a school where students may learn in a Christ-centered environment.
The roots of the Centerville Seventh-day Adventist Church begin in 1892 when a colporteur, Mrs. Berry, visited friends and neighbors in Dayton, Ohio to conduct Bible studies. This group organized a church and met in a Jewish Synagogue until a new church and school were built at the corner of Pleasant and Hedges Streets in East Dayton. In 1911, there were 80 members, and in 1916 the need for a larger facility was met by renting space from the Young Women’s League. Continue Reading...
Elder Fisher became the pastor for the newly-formed Centerville Church and stood behind a small podium in the Spring Valley Academy gymnasium on October 6, 1979, where the congregation assembled for the first worship service. Continue Reading...
Four years after the first worship service at Spring Valley Academy, in November, 1983, the church purchased the property at 456 W. Spring Valley Pike, in Centerville. The church had been savings towards this day. The Building Fund had grown to approximately $445,000, and the estimated cost of the new church facility was $1,200,000 including the land and the completed church. So, hopes soared, courage grew, and now all that was needed was a builder, a plan, and more money! Continue Reading...
On January 15, 1994, the Centerville Church was dedicated with an official “burning the mortgage” ceremony. This was a high Sabbath for all members which now numbered four hundred forty three (443). [link to bulletin]
When Pastor Fuller accepted a call to the Kentucky-Tennessee Conference in 1995, Pastor Abbott continued to serve the needs of the congregation until 1996 when he accepted an invitation to serve in Niles, Michigan.
In the fall of 1996, Pastor Rick LaVenture became the senior pastor, with associate pastor, Kelvin Mitchell. This pastoral team served until Pastor LaVenture moved into a chaplain role at Kettering Medical Center in 2002.
Beginning in 2003, Pastor Winston Baldwin and Pastor Robert Zegarra led the church through a period of unprecedented growth and revival. In October, 2011, the pastoral team expanded when Pastor William Hrovat joined the Centerville Church staff with responsibility for outreach and evangelism. In August of 2012, Pastor Zegarra accepted a call to pastor the Taunton SDA Church in Taunton, Massachusetts. Jeremy Wong joined the pastoral team as the new youth pastor in November, 2012, bringing passion for evangelistic ministry to young people. This dedicated and exciting pastoral team currently lead our congregation.